Search This Blog

Monday, May 18, 2026

Hantavirus survivor shares the illness’s most terrifying symptoms

 A hantavirus survivor shared how it made her vomit so much that she developed a phobia of it.

Shaina Montiel, 38, caught hantavirus – now widely known due to its recent outbreak on a cruise – and is sharing the symptoms she suffered.

At the time, the condition was extremely rare, and it took several doctors to diagnose Shaina after she began vomiting and ‘hemorrhaging rectally’ aged five.

Shaina Montiel, 38, caught hantavirus – now widely known due to its recent outbreak on a cruise – and is sharing the symptoms she suffered.Shaina Montiel / SWNS

Shaina, from a suburb of Los Angeles, in California, US, was eventually diagnosed with the hemorrhagic strain of the virus, different from the Andes strain found aboard the Dutch cruise ship MV Hondius.

Then in kindergarten, Shaina spent over a week in hospital being tested for meningitis and leukaemia before getting her diagnosis.

She said it caused her so much pain that she couldn’t even be touched without flinching – and she was monitored for two years after she recovered because of how rare and unknown the condition then was.

Shaina, from a suburb of Los Angeles, in California, US, was eventually diagnosed with the hemorrhagic strain of the virus, different from the Andes strain found aboard the Dutch cruise ship MV Hondius.Shaina Montiel / SWNS

As more people become aware of the condition, Shaina shared her experiences – having gone over three decades without ever knowing of another case.

Shaina, a special education teacher, said: “I have a lot of memories from that time, because it was so traumatic – I’ve never forgotten it.

“I remember I had flu-like symptoms and had antibiotics, then one day I began hemorrhaging rectally – I couldn’t control it.

At the time, the condition was extremely rare, and it took several doctors to diagnose Shaina (left) after she began vomiting and ‘hemorrhaging rectally’ aged five.Shaina Montiel / SWNS

“It hit me really hard – no illness since has caused that severe vomiting.

“When I was diagnosed, the doctors asked my mom’s permission to document everything in my case because it was so uncommon.

“Seeing someone who survived it on TV this week was the first time I’d seen another survivor.

“Growing up, there was no information out there about it. Now there is, it’s like a little part of me is being shared with the world.”

Shaina fell ill in 1993 from a mystery illness, which first presented as the flu.

She was prescribed antibiotics but returned to the doctor’s the next day when she became weak, although she was reassured it was only the flu.

But over the following days, she began hemorrhaging blood and faeces uncontrollably from her bum.

Shaina said: “The hospital didn’t know what it was, and apparently they tested me for meningitis and leukaemia.

“But there was a doctor there who said he’d just come from a seminar about hantavirus.

“I was sent to a children’s hospital where my diagnosis was confirmed.

“I had a blood rash underneath my skin too, my mum said you couldn’t touch a hair on my head because my skin was so sensitive.”

Shaina was severely unwell and in pain for around a fortnight in total, she said.

While nobody could know for sure where her illness had been picked up, it was suspected to be from animal faeces when playing in her rural back garden.

“Growing up, there was no information out there about it. Now there is, it’s like a little part of me is being shared with the world,” Montiel (left) said.Shaina Montiel / SWNS
“I remember I had flu-like symptoms and had antibiotics, then one day I began hemorrhaging rectally – I couldn’t control it,” Montiel said.Shaina Montiel / SWNS

After recovering from the illness, Shaina was put on two years of monitoring.

She said: “My mom used to have to check after every time I used the restroom, for blood in my stool.

\“They told her it could affect my kidneys or my vision long term.

“I had no long term effects but I did develop health anxiety through childhood and into adulthood, feeling like I would die from something rare.

“I had a blood rash underneath my skin too, my mum said you couldn’t touch a hair on my head because my skin was so sensitive,” she contined.Shaina Montiel / SWNS

“And I developed a fear of vomiting.

“Growing up, I read a lot of books about infectious diseases because I wanted to know more about what I had.”

So after the disease that caused her so much medical trauma as a child came to light recently, Shaina said she wanted to speak out.

She said: “The scariest part is, I didn’t know there was a human-to-human strain.

“I was always told mine was spread by rodents.

While nobody could know for sure where her illness had been picked up, it was suspected to be from animal faeces when playing in her rural back garden.Shaina Montiel / SWNS

“They say it’s hard to get, and low risk, but it felt like a bit of a concern to me.

“It’s super weird now, everyone else getting to know about something I went through.

“It was scary and a horrible experience that I don’t want anyone else to go through.

“Knowing there are people who are suffering with it and who might catch it, it’s chilling.

“Those poor families that are now dealing with it, oh my gosh. I just hope they recover, like I did.”

https://nypost.com/2026/05/18/health/hantavirus-survivor-shares-their-most-terrifying-symptoms/

Principal of VA school where student shot teacher faces decades in prison in criminal trial

 A former Virginia elementary school administrator who was hit with a $10 million verdict after a teacher was shot by a 6-year-old student is now on trial for criminal child neglect charges — and she faces decades in prison if convicted.

Jury selection got underway Monday in the case against Ebony Parker, the ex-vice principal of Richneck Elementary School in Newport News, Va., where former teacher Abby Zwerner was shot by a first grade student on Jan. 6, 2023.

Former school administrator Ebony Parker is on trial for child neglect charges after teacher Abby Zwerner was shot by a student.Stephen M. Katz/Pool The Virginian-Pilot via AP

Zwerner is slated to testify and could take the stand as early as Tuesday, her lawyers confirmed to The Post.

The 28-year-old educator previously testified in her civil case that she thought she “died” and was going “to heaven” after being shot in the chest.

She carries fragments of the bullet in her body to this day.

Zwerner was shot by her first-grade student in 2023. She won a $10 million civil verdict against Parker.GoFundMe

Zwerner sued Parker for $40 million, claiming she failed to intervene despite warning signs the first-grader brought a gun into school that day and was acting alarmingly.

A jury awarded Zwerner $10 million in damages against Parker in November.

Parker is charged with eight counts of child neglect for each of the eight bullets that were inside the pistol that the student brought into school that day.

She faces up to five years behind bars on each count.

Zwerner resigned from her post as a first-grade teacher at Richneck Elementary School in Newport News, Virginia.TNS

The student’s mom, Deja Taylor, was previously sentenced in 2023 to two years in prison after she copped to child neglect charges. In a separate federal weapons case, she was sentenced to 21 months. The son told officials he got the 9mm handgun from her purse. He doesn’t face criminal or civil liability.

Parker has pleaded not guilty.

At the civil trial, Zwerner’s lawyers argued the buck stopped with Parker who had received reports that day from staffers about the possibility that the boy having a gun. Still, Parker refused to have the boy searched, despite having three opportunities to do so.

Meanwhile, Parker’s civil lawyers argued no one could have foreseen what would unfold and that errors occurred by staffers from the bottom to the top while Parker was being made the scapegoat.

https://nypost.com/2026/05/18/us-news/trial-begins-for-principal-who-failed-to-stop-abby-zwerner-by-6-year-old/

Teen gunmen open fire at San Diego mosque before killing themselves, details on ‘hate crime’ emerge

 A total of five people including two teenage gunmen — who inscribed anti-Muslim hate messages on their weapons — are dead after a shooting at a San Diego mosque.

Officers responded to the Islamic Center of San Diego for a report of an active shooter around 11:43 a.m. Monday.

Outside the center were three adult men dead from gunshot wounds, according to San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl, who spoke to the media after the shooting.

“All of our kids are safe. Our hearts go out to the families who, in this moment, are being notified of what has happened to their loved ones,” Wahl said.

Officers were on scene  just four minutes after the initial call came in, according to Wahl.

While clearing the inside of the mosque, another person called 911 to report gun shots only a few blocks away. A man doing landscaping work claimed he had been shot at by a passing vehicle, though the bullets missed, Wahl said.

A gas container with an ”SS” sticker was seen outside the gunman’s car.Anadolu via Getty Images

Only a short distance away from where the landscaper had been shot at, officers located a white BMW stopped in the middle of the roadway with two suspects dead from what appeared to be self-inflicted gunshot wounds, according to Wahl.

A woman cries at the scene of a shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego Monday, May 18, 2026, in San Diego.AP Photo/Gregory Bull
A body seen covered with a tarp at the scene of a shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego Monday, May 18, 2026. What appears to be ammunition, possibly a shotgun shell, is seen near the body.AP Photo/Gregory Bull
Members of the Muslim community use their phones at the scene of a reported active shooter situation at the Islamic Center, with yellow tape placed behind them to cordon the area, in San Diego, on May 18, 2026.REUTERS
Police stage outside the Islamic Center of San Diego Monday, May 18, 2026.Denis Poroy for CA Post
Parents wait for for their children to be released from a pre-school next to the Islamic Center of San Diego Monday, May 18, 2026.Denis Poroy for CA Post

The suspects were 17-year-old Cain Clark and 19-year-old Caleb Vazquez, a law enforcement source told The Post. Clark was a wrestler at Madison High School.

Anti-Islamic writings were found inside the BMW, and at least one suspect took a firearm from their parents’ home, leaving a suicide note behind that included writing about racial pride, a law enforcement source told The Post.

Hate speech was also written on one of the firearms used, the source said. A photo captured from the scene of where the suspects were located showed one of their bodies on the ground and a shotgun next to the vehicle. There was also a gas can with an “SS” sticker on the side.

It appears the “SS” may have represented the Schutzstaffel, the paramilitary organization led by Heinrich Himmler under the Nazi regime of Adolf Hitler.

Police revealed that around 9:42 a.m. they had received a call of a runaway juvenile from a concerned mother. After speaking with the mom, police began to elevate the threat level the individual posed to the community.

The mom allegedly believed her son was suicidal and shared that several of her weapons were missing, as was her vehicle, according to police. The mom also said her son was with a companion and that they were dressed in camo.

People stand behind police tape at the scene of a shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego Monday, May 18, 2026, in San Diego.AP Photo/Gregory Bull
A body is covered with a tarp at the scene of a shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday, May 18, 2026.AP Photo/Gregory Bull
A woman sobs and watches from a distance at the scene of a shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego Monday, May 18, 2026.AP Photo/Gregory Bull
Women embrace at the scene of a shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego Monday, May 18, 2026.AP Photo/Gregory Bull
People walk under police tape at the scene of a shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday.AP Photo/Gregory Bull

Timeline of the San Diego shooting:

  • 11:43 a.m. — SDPD receives reports of an active shooter at the Islamic Center of San Diego on the 7000 block of Eckstrom Ave. in Clairemont.
  • 11:47 a.m. — Officers arrive to find three adults dead outside the center, including security guard Amin Abdullah. They immediately enter the building and adjacent school to hunt for the shooter.
  • 11:52 a.m. — Two blocks away on the 7100 block of Salerno St., new calls come in: a landscaper has been shot at. He survived.
  • Minutes later — Officers are called to the 3800 block of Hatton St., where they find a white BMW stopped in the street with what appear to be the suspects inside, a 17-year-old and a 19-year-old — both dead from self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
  • 1:06 p.m. — “The threat at the Islamic center has been neutralized,” SDPD wrote on X at 1:06 p.m.

The police would not clarify whether or not the missing person was involved in the shooting, though most of the details line up with what The Post was told.

A still from a video shows a person receiving CPR near the San Diego mosque shooting site.Reddit/@The_Clmt_kid420
A still from a video shows a person receiving CPR near the San Diego mosque shooting site.Reddit/@The_Clmt_kid420
Police officers leading a line of children away from the Islamic Center during an active shooter event.KGTV
An aerial view of police responding to a shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego, with a body on the ground.NBC
An aerial view of the heavily armed police presence at the Islamic Center of San Diego.KGTV/ABC 10 News
An armed man seen from above at the Islamic Center of San Diego.ABC 10 NewsOne of the victims was a mosque security guard who “played a pivotal role in assisting, this could have been worse,” said Wahl at the press conference.

No children were physically injured and the FBI is assisting in the investigation.

Footage from the scene taken by a helicopter above showed one person in a tactical vest, presumably the security guard who was killed, laying face up outside the Islamic Center. 

The other two victims, who have not been identified, were seen getting CPR from first responders near the scene of the shooting.

Emergency workers respond at the scene of a reported active shooter situation at the Islamic Center in San Diego, California, U.S., May 18, 2026.REUTERS
Parents wait for for their children to be released from a pre-school next to the Islamic Center of San Diego Monday, May 18, 2026.Denis Poroy for CA Post

“Today, our city was shaken by a violent act at the Islamic Center of San Diego and my heart is with every person touched by this tragedy. No one in our city should ever have to fear for their safety in a house of faith and a place of learning,” San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria said Monday night.

“I am grateful to the San Diego Police Department, our Fire-rescue personnel, and every first responder who moved toward danger to bring this threat to an end,” he added.

Chief Wahl called the police response “the most dynamic and impressive response I have ever seen in policing” in his 28 years of law enforcement work.

https://nypost.com/2026/05/18/us-news/cops-rush-to-active-shooter-at-islamic-center-of-san-diego/