Search This Blog

Sunday, March 1, 2026

FBI Joint Terrorism Taskforce investigating mass shooting at Austin bar near UT campus

 Three people were killed and 14 others were wounded when a gunman opened fire at a packed bar in downtown Austin early Sunday — and the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force is investigating the attack.

Police responded to reports of a male shooting at Buford’s Backyard Beer Garden — near the University of Texas-Austin — just before 2 a.m., officials said at a press conference.

Three officers who were patrolling the entertainment district responded to the scene in 57 seconds, confronted the gunman and “returned fire,” killing the unidentified suspect.

Police responded to Buford’s Backyard Beer Garden on the 600 block of Rio Grande Street in downtown Austin on March 1, 2026.Google Maps
Police officers guard the scene on West 6th Street at West Avenue after the shooting in Austin, Texas.AP

The gunman reportedly stormed the bar with a handgun and an assault rifle, according to the Austin-American Statesman.

The FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force has joined the investigation into the mass shooting — indicating that the motive of the attack could be related to terrorism.

“Officers immediately transitioned, came over East 6th to West 6th Street and were faced with the individual with a gun,” Austin Police Chief Lisa Davis said. 

Three victims died at the scene.

First responders, who arrived to assist in less than a minute, rushed 14 other patients to nearby hospitals.

Three victims are listed in critical condition, officials said.

No one has been identified so far.

Just hours before the shooting, the popular bar shared videos on its Instagram story showing the bar jam-packed young revelers drinking and dancing to a DJ.

The clips show the unsuspecting crowd belting out Miley Cyrus’ “Party in the USA” and Kelly Clarkson’s “Since You Been Gone” as they’re blasted by a smoke machine.

The bar, which is open between 12 p.m. and 2 a.m. on the weekends, was gearing up to close for the night when gunfire erupted.

Officials said they will release more information as it becomes available throughout the day.

“Our hearts go out to the people that are victims of this and I want to reiterate my thanks to our public safety officers and officials that so rapidly were on the scene, they definitely saved lives,” Austin Mayor Kirk Watson said.

Officials noted federal agents were helping with the investigation.AP
Three people were killed and 14 others were wounded in the attack.CBS Austin via FOX San Antoniio

Moments before the shooting, revelers were enjoying live music on a packed dance floor, according to video posted to the beer garden’s social media.

Officials noted federal agents were helping with the investigation into the shooting and would share further details throughout the day.

Buford’s, a large night-life bar, can hold up to 700 people and features a stage, basketball, skeeball and video games.

Moments before the shooting, a crowd was enjoying live music on a packed dance floor.Instagram / Bufords Austin
An Austin police officer guards the scene on West 6th Street.AP

Buford’s Backyard Beer Garden did not immediately respond to The Post’s request for comment.

A motive behind the shooting was not revealed.

The conditions of the other 11 wounded victims were not announced

“This is a situation that we are going to be talking about probably all day,” Davis added.

The Austin Police Department told community members searching for loved ones who were at the shooting to contact the APD’s Victim Services Unit at 512-974-5037.

https://nypost.com/2026/03/01/us-news/texas-bar-shooting-leaves-multiple-dead-injures-up-to-20-at-bufords-backyard-beer-garden/

CIA tracked Khamenei for months — allowing the decisive strike that killed him

 US intelligence officials had tracked Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei for months, learning and understanding his movement until he met with top regime officials inside his fortified compound during the deadly strikes Saturday.

The CIA had familiarized itself with the patterns of the 86-year-old tyrant before obtaining new intelligence of the fateful meeting in the center of Tehran, the New York Times reported on Sunday, citing anonymous sources.

Upon learning of the critical gathering, American and Israeli military officials moved the attack, dubbed “Operation Epic Fury,” from the cover of darkness to the surprise daylight strikes that wiped out Khamenei and roughly 40 senior Iranian officials, including the Minister of Defense, Head of Intelligence, and the Supreme Leader’s Advisor for Security Affairs and Secretary of the Defense Council.

Black smoke rises from the heavy damage of Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei’s compound in Tehran after US and Israeli strikes on Feb. 28, 2026.via REUTERS


Abdolrahim Mousavi, Iran’s Armed Forces Chief of Staff Abdolrahim Mousavi, the country’s highest ranking military official, was among the regime’s leaders who were killed in the US-Israeli airstrikes, state television said Sunday.

The successful attacks, described as a “tactical surprise,” were planned out by Israeli officials for months.

Fighter jets launched out of Israel Saturday morning and arrived in Tehran just before 10 a.m., where they struck the fortified government compound where the officials were gathered.

The senior officials and Khamenei were in two separate buildings of the compound obliterated by the strikes.

President Trump confirmed Khamenei’s death on Saturday, calling him “one of the most evil people in history.

“This is not only Justice for the people of Iran, but for all Great Americans, and those people from many Countries throughout the World, that have been killed or mutilated by Khamenei and his gang of bloodthirsty THUGS,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social Saturday.

Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in Tehran on Feb. 19, 2026.KHAMENEI.IR/AFP via Getty Images
The commander in chief called for the remaining regime officials to agree to a diplomatic solution as it is “much easier now than it was a day ago, obviously, because they are getting beat up badly,” he told CBS News’ Robert Costa.

He also extended an “immunity” to supporters of the murderous ayatollah, or else they’d suffer grave consequences later.

“We are hearing that many of their IRGC, Military, and other Security and Police Forces, no longer want to fight, and are looking for Immunity from us,” Trump said in a social media post. “As I said last night, ‘Now they can have Immunity, later they only get Death!’”

https://nypost.com/2026/03/01/world-news/cia-tracked-iran-supreme-leader-khameneis-movement-for-months-intel-helped-us-israel-time-strike-during-meeting-report/

Columbia University anti-Israel group posts ‘Death to America’ after US and Israel kill Khamenei

 Columbia University’s biggest anti-Israel student group — which notoriously organized last year’s on-campus encampment in protest of the war in Gaza — posted “death to America” in Persian after the US and Israel killed Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.

“Marg bar Amrika,” the Columbia University Apartheid Divest [CUAD] group posted on X on Saturday — a rally cry made famous by founder Islamic Republic of Iran, Ayatollah Khomeini.

Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei addressing the public.
The US and Israel killed Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei in a targeted strike Saturday.Anadolu via Getty Images

The words are a transliteration of the Farsi phrase.

The post was removed by X, but the organization, which is not recognized by the Ivy League school, doubled down.

A man holds a Palestinian flag while standing among protesters, tents, and small Palestinian flags on a hedge in an encampment at Columbia University.
Columbia University Apartheid Divest organized the school’s on-campus encampment last year to protest the war in Gaza.James Keivom
“X forced us to delete our “marg bar amrika” tweet in order to gain back access to our account but the sentiment still stands,” CUAD wrote.

https://nypost.com/2026/03/01/world-news/columbia-anti-israel-group-posts-death-to-america-after-us-israel-kill-khamenei/

Iran Names Interim Successor To Khamenei in 2nd Day Of Bombs, Trump Demands Regime Change

 As questions hang over who will ultimately succeed Iran's slain supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, an interim leader has been appointed to fulfill his duties. Top Shia cleric Alireza Arafi has been named to the interim Leadership Council after Supreme Leader Khamenei was confirmed killed in US-Israeli strikes, state media reported Sunday.

The ISNA news agency has described that Arafi, a member of the Guardian Council, is joining President Masoud Pezeshkian and Chief Justice Gholamhossein Mohseni Ejei on the body tasked with carrying out the supreme leader’s responsibilities until the Assembly of Experts appoints a permanent successor. All of this happening as US-Israeli bombs continue to fall on Tehran and other sites for a second straight day, 'uninterrupted' - as President Trump pledged Saturday.

Born in 1959, 67-year-old Alireza Arafi ranks among the most powerful clerics in Iran. Before his emergency elevation, he held three key posts: director of the nationwide Islamic Seminary system, member of the Guardian Council, and member of the Assembly of Experts.

While rooted in Qom's clerical establishment, Arafi combines traditional religious authority with seeking to carefully modernize Iran; however his appointment of course signals continuity, and he'll be tasked with seeking to ensure regime survival - which is what this moment is all about for Tehran. Most importantly, Arafi is viewed by the IRGC and political leadership as a loyal insider who will preserve a retaliatory trajectory during wartime.

Heavy US and Israeli bombing has been observed Sunday on the Iranian capital, particularly on known government and military command centers, but that hasn't stopped large gatherings of mourners in other parts of the country.

While there's been evidence of local celebrations in some sectors among anti-government Iranians, Sunday footage on state TV and other international media shows loyalists in possibly the hundreds of thousands showing solidarity with the slain Ayatollah the Islamic Republic leadership.

President Masoud Pezeshkian condemned the killing as "a great crime" and has declared seven days of public holidays in addition to the 40-day mourning period. Outraged and saddened Iranians were seen pouring into the streets of the capital soon after state TV finally made the announcement confirming Khamenei's killing during the opening salvo of the US-Israeli attack. Iranian authorities have alleged major war crimes, including the deaths of over 85 young girls attending school when a bomb struck.

"There will be expected ceremonies," Pezeshkian said, while noting they will have to happen even while the bombardment continues across the country. He's also said his country views revenge as its "legitimate right and duty" after Khamenei had been murdered by the "most wicked villains in the world."

The president further claimed the act was a "declaration of open war on Muslims, especially Shiites, in all corners of the world." According to NBC:

The government in Iran is under attack like never before. Today tens of thousands of regime supporters packed into Tehran’s Revolution Square to mourn the late Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who was killed in a joint U.S. and Israel military operation.

They chanted "God is great!" while officials promised revenge. One said Iran would deliver “terrifying blows” to make the U.S. and Israel beg for mercy.

Iran's interim leadership council: President Masoud Pezeshkian, member of the Guardian Council and Assembly of Experts Ayatollah Ali Arafi, Head of Judiciary Gholam-Hossein Mohseni-Ejei

As for the day to day running of the country and immediately overseeing the military response, Ali Larijani is believed to be in the driver's seat. Khamenei had reportedly personally tapped Larijani - a former Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) commander and political heavyweight - to take charge in the event of the Supreme Leader's death.

Israel has confirmed it has conducted new strikes "in the heart of Tehran" and that the "majority" or Iran’s senior military leaders - some 40 of them - were killed in the opening wave. "The Israeli Air Force continues to operate extensively in both defense and offense, with the goal of removing threats posed to the State of Israel," the IDF said - alongside the US boasting that they have established air superiority with much of Iran's radars and air defenses having been taken out already.

Iran has said that at least 200 of its people have been killed, but the actual figure could be much higher, and is expected to be in the coming days. The external attack could go on for weeks, given especially President Trump is now calling for full regime change, which would mean defeating and dismantling the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC). The problem with this is that most analyst agree it would require boots on the ground. Trump says he wants to see full "freedom" in Iran as the goal of the military operation.

Trump's 'shock & awe': Tehran is a densely packed modern cosmopolitan city of almost 10 million people. The wider metropolitan area has over 16 million.

Massive airstrikes on Tehran:

So far, it's been limited to an air war, and with naval assets also firing, and no casualties on the US or Israeli sides have yet to be reported. It's mainly America's Gulf allies which have suffered, with Iranian ballistic missiles coming down on US bases in the region - but also strikes which have landed on hotels, buildings, and even major airports around the Gulf.

By all accounts Israel has been getting hit hard - though many analysts say Israel's military censor is working in overdrive, preventing an avalanche of information from getting out. However, there's still plenty of confirmation of some Iranian ballistic missile impacts:

Air alert sirens continue sounding especially across central Israel. Tel Aviv was struck overnight. Iranian state media meanwhile confirms:

IRAN FIRED FATTAH-2 HYPERSONIC MISSILES FOR FIRST TIME: FARS

DPA via Getty Images

This war looks to go on, even if there's desire in the White House for it to be 'one and done' - as increasingly the Iranians have nothing to lose. One likely result of the unprovoked US-Israeli attack is that leadership in Tehran will only become more hardline. We detailed some of the initial Saturday blowback on the Gulf allies - but Sunday has witnessed some direct repercussions on US embassies and diplomatic compounds in the region

The US Consulates General in Karachi and Lahore has come under attack by large angry mobs, within hours after Khamenei's death was announced. "Violent clashes between protesters and security forces in the Pakistani port city of Karachi left at least nine people killed and more than 50 others wounded on Sunday, after hundreds of demonstrators attempted to storm the U.S. Consulate, authorities said," according to AP.

Things are also popping off outside high-secured Baghdad's Green Zone, where Iraqis are trying to breach the US embassy, with hundreds seen rioting and even bringing bulldozing equipment to the site. The mob threw stones and clashed with Iraqi security forces, which responded with tear gas. "Their attempts had been thwarted so far, but they keep trying," an official told AFP. Iraq is a Shia majority country with heavy loyalty to the Shia religious establishment in Iran. Baghdad's general pro-Iran stance and influence is a legacy of the Bush Neocons, who overthrow Sunni secular Baath dictator Saddam Hussein and elevated the Shia Mullahs. 

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/iran-appoints-interim-successor-khamenei-under-2nd-day-massive-bombs-trump-urges-full