US President Donald Trump said Wednesday that Washington was considering further sanctions on Iran, while saying the Strait of Hormuz remained open and that the US naval blockade had been “100% successful.”
“We have things that we could sanction. We have very draconian sanctions, and we’ll see what happens,” Trump told reporters at the White House.
“Right now, the Strait is open. A lot of boats are coming through,” Trump said, adding that traffic “may slow down a little bit at some point.”
Trump said no vessels had entered Iran while the blockade was in force, although ships were continuing to reach other destinations.
“The blockade has been 100% successful. No boats have gotten into Iran, but they are getting in for other places,” he said.
Trump also said the Strait of Hormuz could become less important to global energy markets as alternative oil supplies and pipelines expand in the United States and elsewhere.
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent told Newsmax last week that Washington would apply measures against Iran that had “never been seen.”
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.